Skip to main content

Elle and Coach

Hello Blog!


Please note portions of this post have been adapted from my mothers blog, Getting Stitched on the Farm.

Nearly three years ago I was browsing through shelves of books and movies at my local library when something intriguing caught my eye. It was a book with white and blue binding. I picked it up off the pile and took a good long look at it. It was a book with a girl on the cover probably about my age and a very adorable regal looking dog (a labrador retriever to be precise). I read the title for the book: Elle and Coach. So I thought to myself: “Well, isn’t that adorable?” After a minute I then noticed something else that caught my eye about the book. It was the subheading below that I didn’t notice right away. It read: “Diabetes, the fight for my daughter’s life, and the dog that changed everything." I read it again. Yes, it was about diabetes. I instantly knew that it was fate that I found this book (or was it the book that found me?).


I sat down and instantly started reading. The book is written by a woman named Stefany Shaheen, and it tells the true story of her daughter’s struggle with diabetes. I immediately felt a connection to the story and didn’t put it down for hours. Ms. Shaheen goes on to explain how a labrador retriever diabetic alert service dog came into her family’s life. The dog is named Coach, and goes anywhere and everywhere that Elle goes. High school, dance camp, out to dinner, the theater. You name it, Coach goes there.

But Coach doesn’t just follow Elle around for support. Coach can sense when Elle is having a low or high blood sugar. He can smell the sugar in her body as it gives off a very strong chemical scent. I don’t want to ruin the whole book, but in one part, Elle is upstairs in the bathroom taking a shower with the door closed and Coach is downstairs and he suddenly starts freaking out. So Elle’s parent’s told her to test and low and behold, she was LOW. The dog was right! I was astounded and wanted to keep reading. Overall, the book was a very quick enjoyable read. 

After I finished it, I knew my time with this book was not done. I told my parents that I wanted to apply for a diabetic alert dog like Coach. Elle had gotten her dog from an organization called CARES, Inc. The organization is out of Kansas. So, I made it my mission to contact them and find out more information. I recently called CARES, and spoke with their owner Megan Llewelyn and found some resourceful information. 

I have just recently filled out my application for a service dog. I have decided that I would most like a female Golden Retriever (although, I am truly happy with any dog that could save my life). When I spoke with CARES, they told me that once my application has been processed, the waiting period is twelve to eighteen months. After that, you go to the CARES training facility in Kansas for a week long class where you meet the dog you will be potentially be taking home at the end of the week, and work with the staff to train the dog. At the end of the week, if you pass all the tests, you get to bring your dog home with you...FOREVER!! 

The Diabetic alert dogs at CARES cost an upwards of $3,500 (CARES is extremely reasonable when it comes to pricing as some organizations sell their dogs between $25,000-$50,000), plus you have to pay for your flight to and from Kansas and the cost of the food and toys for the dog. Along with vet bills, it can become a lot of responsibility. I plan on starting a Kickstarter or GoFundMe page, when I know a little more information. If any of you readers know information about these dogs, the CARES organization, or if you even own a diabetic service dog, I’d love to hear from you!

Edit: Since this post was written three years ago, I still haven't gotten a diabetic alert dog. If anyone out there knows information about diabetic alert dogs, please contact me. 

You can find out more information on CARES, or Elle and Coach by going to these resources: 

You can purchase the book on Amazon here and you can find more about CARES, Inc. here: http://www.caresks.com/

Additionally you can find out about diabetic service dogs: 
The Bark



Thanks for Reading!
Jules

Comments

  1. After reading your article you must know what I have written here sugar apple fruit .This one is being written after getting inspiration from you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hydrocephalus Awareness

Hello Blog! Happy September! While for many, September symbolize the end of summer and the start of fall, September holds a special place in my heart for another very special reason. September is Hydrocephalus Awareness Month! Like I stated in my introductory post, one of the conditions I suffer from is hydrocephalus.  My Story with Hydrocephalus began before I was born. Three weeks before I was born my parents went in for an ultrasound where they discovered there was something wrong. The doctors weren’t sure what it was. They were referred to a great neurosurgeon who explained what he thought it most likely was. Hydrocephalus.   What is hydrocephalus? Hydrocephalus is a neurological condition that causes an excess of swelling in the brain that is called cerebral spinal fluid (CSF).  Hydrocephalus means that my brain doesn’t control fluid properly and there was an influx of fluid in my brain when I was born causing my head to swell. There  is no cure. No one quite knows why peopl

My YouTube Channel

Hi Everyone! I Wanted to share some exciting news with you all. I have just launched my new YouTube Channel  and the first video is live now! I can't wait to see where this new chapter in my life takes me and I am excited you are along for the ride. I am looking forward to sharing tons of interesting content on my channel (as well as my other socials ). Beyond my experience with diabetes and hydrocephalus, I would like to talk about fashion, recipes, book reviews, chit chat, get to know you all, and so much more. I hope you enjoy it.  All the best,  Jules